On 10/12/17 18:22, Gyan Doshi wrote:
> On 12/10/2017 10:44 PM, Mark Thompson wrote:
>
>> Can you explain what you actually want to achieve here?  It sounds more like
>> you want --disable-autodetect (hardware libraries are not the only ones
>> which can give surprise dependencies).
>
> If the ffmpeg HW decoder/encoder wrappers are disabled, then associated
> libraries cuda, d3d11.. should also be disabled.
>
> They are not because of autodetect. configure picks up 6 libs here. And since
> they are AD, users may not realize that they are included - I didn't; I
> thought disable-hwaccels did that - till I happened to check configure's
> result for another lib I was linking.

--disable-hwaccels does not disable hardware codecs: it disables hwaccels only,
decoders and encoders will still be present.

If you want to disable decoder and encoder wrappers as well then you will need
to either use --disable-decoders --disable-encoders or disable them
individually.

(And that still doesn't disable filtering or hwcontext generic support using
these libraries, which can be used separately.)

> --disable-autodetect disables others besides the HW libs. The users may not
> know if they want/need these other libs, but if HW codecs are disabled, then
> those libs used exclusively by them, should not get linked.
Under what circumstances does a user want to disable autodetect for some subset
of libraries while allowing it for others?  There can still be surprise
dependencies, which is presumably the thing they want to avoid.

> P.S. Isn't AMF for providing support for AMD GPU decoder/encoders?

Just encoders, but yes.

- Mark