On Thu, 22 Feb 2018, Nicolas George wrote:

Marton Balint (2018-02-22):
I think what CE ment was static v.s. dynamic lib names

I am pretty sure he asked if the file name of the library could be
different at run time than at compile time, which would be the only
reason to justify using an environment variable.

The environment variable contains the directory to the library, not the library name itself.

By the way, using an environment variable to load a dynamic library is a
terrible idea in terms of security. Let us not do it.

LD_LIBRARY_PATH, LD_PRELOAD is an environment variable as well, so I don't see why it is different from security standpoint.

And it's not unprecedented, there is FREI0R_PATH, or LADSPA_PATH for example. Okay, these are plugins, so not entirely the same thing, yet the approach is similar.

With dynamic loading we can rely on the library name defined in the NDI SDK
headers which should be the proper one for each OS/arch.

So basically, we should add 100+ lines of ugly code just because these
guys are unable to follow the same rules as any other library?

I'd rather say that we should add 100+ lines of code because:
 - it fixes some portability issues with the library names
 - dynamic loading alone has some pros (e.g. not needing the SDK
   on every machine where you use your built ffmpeg)
 - we can use the SDK suggested way to find the library using an
   environment variable
 - the author who is the de facto maintainer prefers it this way
I also tried to help making the code "less ugly" in my review.

Regards,
Marton