So what's the final verdict here, can this be pushed or not?

Timo - did you manage to test it over last weekend?

I haven't found the time, sorry.
I'm generally not opposed to this. It does not disrupt normal use, and spinning up nvenc does have a surprisingly hefty overhead, so it makes sense to have features like that.

One request I'd have for the patch though, if one of the new max_ parameters is set, and dyn res changing is not supported, there should be an error.

Likewise if the res does change and max_width/height were not set.
Silently not doing anything seems bad.

Also, someone needs to ack the non-nvenc changes. Not sure if that explanation is really needed, since this is an nvenc specific edge case.