Hey all,

I'm trying to produce JPEG thumbnails of movies and gifs. I am scaling them
to a particular size, which requires letter boxing them, and I noticed that
the black letterbox I use isn't always black. It works fine when converting
to other formats.

I assume this has something to do with RBG/YUV or YUV Range conversion, but
I'm not fluent in how FFmpeg handles color conversions and haven't found
too much documentation. Here is an example command line I'm using:

ffmpeg -i source.gif -frames 1 -pix_fmt yuvj420p -filter_complex
-sws_flags lanczos -y -f singlejpeg out.jpg

I also tried yuv420p which works for mp4.

Thanks for any help!

Bjorn Roche

Sr. Video Pipeline Engineer