> Or more likely a marketing issue.

I think maybe what is happening is that since Resolve processes images in a
32-bit space, and it’s not convenient to fit 12-bit words, it pads each word to
16-bits so then it fits better.

Anyway, on this topic, is there a way to definitely read the bit depth used to
encode a file?  According to Arri, the ProRes 444 clips created by the Alexa
camera are written using 12 bits.  This is documented in many places on the
web, including this forum post.  But somehow, ffmpeg identifies these files as
yuv444p10le and the image looks correct.
https://www.arri.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=127&p=266
<https://www.arri.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=127&p=266>

If the image were truly 12-bit, and ffmpeg decodes it as 10-bit, I expect the
image would look wrong.

According to the MediaInfo developer, there is no way to definitely read the
encoded bit depth, and therefore he has removed that info from the MediaInfo
tool.
https://sourceforge.net/p/mediainfo/discussion/297610/thread/4bc21b18/#cd3a/2395/563e/1fec