> Two or more wrongs do not make one good.

Sorry, I’m not understanding your point.  The question I’m trying to understand
is, how are pixels actually encoded?  Is each pixel represented by a triplet of
RGB / YUV values?  If so, is there some way to look at it in a text editor and
see values like (1024,1024,1024) for a white pixel in 10-bit RGB?

Can it be possible for ffmpeg to misinterpret the image as 10-bit instead of
12, and still make the image look correct?