On 01/26/2020 07:32 PM, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:
Am Mo., 27. Jan. 2020 um 01:27 Uhr schrieb Mark Filipak
<markfilipak.windows+ffm...@gmail.com>:

On 01/26/2020 07:24 PM, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:
Am Mo., 27. Jan. 2020 um 01:21 Uhr schrieb Mark Filipak
<markfilipak.windows+ffm...@gmail.com>:

This all matters. It matters a lot. It creates confusion in users
and I can only imagine what it has done to ff libraries (and
how they have been patched to compensate for this bug).

Do you think the issue you see is also reproducible with
ffmpeg or only with ffprobe?

I have no idea, Carl. I've never used ffmpeg.

Then why don't you believe that the issue you see is that
FFmpeg does not "support" soft-telecine when reading
program streams?

Carl Eugen

Because out of hundreds of region-1 DVDs, I've found only 2 that don't use soft telecine, at least for the main feature. If ffmpeg didn't support soft-telecined VOBs as input, then it could not be used to decode so-called "NTSC" DVDs, HandBrake wouldn't work, MPV wouldn't work, and LVC wouldn't work.