On 04/24/2020 01:22 PM, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:

Am 24.04.2020 um 11:10 schrieb Mark Filipak
<markfilipak.windows+ffm...@gmail.com>:

I've been told that, for soft telecined video the decoder is fully compliant
and therefore outputs 30fps

(“fps” is highly ambiguous in this sentence.)

This is not correct.
I believe I told you some time ago that this is not how the decoder behaves.

I beg your pardon, Carl Eugen. I thought you said that the decoders are fully compliant and therefore produce interlaced fields.

I believe such a behaviour would not make sense for FFmpeg (because you cannot
connect FFmpeg’s output to an NTSC CRT). The telecine filter would not work at
all if above were the case.
Or in other words: FFmpeg outputs approximately 24 frames per second for
typical soft-telecined program streams.

The only thing FFmpeg does to be “compliant” is to forward the correct time
base.

By "correct time base" you mean 24/1.001, correct?