On 11/8/2022 2:50 PM, Dave Blanchard wrote:
> I can't believe you dropped ffserver. [...]

> Perhaps it's because other projects were eclipsing ffserver, only the
> developers know for sure.

So how about we just wait for one of them to comment, instead of wasting time
with speculation.

Personally, I don't care WHY they decided to do it. I'm pissed that they did
it, leaving me with some useless bullshit like mkvserver_mk2 as the only
"alternative."

> Why not offer to take over maintenance and bring it up to date?

Are you seriously asking me this? What a stupid question.

Why don't I offer to take over maintenance of a specialty application that only
audio/video streaming experts understand, which was an important part of an
entire *suite* of multimedia tools created by such experts, when I'm already
busy maintaining an entire Linux distro, plus a thousand other things in my
life?

Why don't I just drop everything to reimplement from scratch something that was
already (half-assed) implemented, which half the net apparently came to rely
on, before it was discontinued without warning, when my goal is to get my
security camers back up and running TODAY so I can catch this piece of shit who
is robbing me blind?

If it's not clear yet, maybe you should think about that a little more, until
the answer becomes obvious.

> Or look at this for
> something-https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_streaming_media_systems#Servers

Not helpful. It's all either proprietary, doesn't have the right features, or
is trash, like the 'official' alternative mkvserver_mk2.

> Or lay out what you've tried, what worked/didn't work, and some more specific
> requirements and maybe someone will make more informed suggestions.

"[...] stream MJPEG off my capture card, transcode/filter to MPEG2, and stream
directly to HTTP. [...]" Just like ffserver used to do.

--
Dave Blanchard <d...@killthe.net>