Hi!

Barbara C wrote:
>  When you peel off a layer, you would stretch it in a direction and 
>keeping your hands 3 feet or so apart, you can draft this mass of 
>silk into a thinner roving.  To stretch a cap, stick both hands 
>inside the cap and spread your hands apart, gently but
>firmly until the cap is wider. At some point, punch through the top 
>of the cap and thin out the resulting circle even more.  When a part 
>gets thin enough, break the circle and pre-draft the rest. You can 
>then spin from one end or actually knit with it unspun. The fiber 
>length can be up to 8 feet long in these, so very little twist is 
>needed to hold it together, but more twist makes a shinier yarn.

        Thanks for the info!  Last year I got some silk caps  to dye 
and spin but couldn't figure out a way to go about the drafting. 
Somebody once told me I just needed to drape it over a stick  and 
pick at one corner.   Well, that  just does not work... What a mess 
it made.

One silly  question though.  Do I first separate  the layers and than 
stretch the cap   or  do I do the stretching and poke the hole first.

Thanks!
-- 
Carla Calvi
Durham, NC

To stop mail temporarily mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
with the message: set nomail  To restore send: set mail

Reply via email to