At 10:38 AM 3/1/2003, you wrote:
Dear Fibernetters,

Have any of you tried core spinning over elastic?  I have some very nice
superwash wool/nylon (80/20) batts for sock yarn, and I read an old Spin
Off article about making "stay on" baby booties by spinning it over
elastic.  Do you think this will hold up with regular wash and wear?
Will I be finding bits of elastic in the laundry over time?

<LOL> I think I'd be more afraid of the wool shedding. I'd suppose that if it were in SpinOff, someone must have made it work. Worst comes to worse, core spin it a bit overtwisted and use a sewing thread binder (on top of the wool). You could also spin a very thin wool single to do the same thing if you'd rather not have the disparity in fibers. This way it would at least look like a 100% wool (elastic completely covered and wool held in by a thin wool single) and would dye up (if you do) the same.


 Would it be
wiser to do it over something else - lycra thread (if such a thing
exists), maybe?

I don't see why not but lycra is an elastic fabric isn't it? The old standby is to simply hold a color coordinated knitting elastic along with the wool when knitting (and they make lots of colors any more) in a slightly stretched state. I would think that would work as well if you don't mind it showing. Do I remember from somewhere that there is now a clear elastic that can be knit in without showing? Of course you can always dye the elastic along with the bootie (either in the 'fleece' or in the yarn). It takes a bit differently (I think usually the cover is cotton on the elastic core), but it will be in the ball park. Or you might elect to use the commercial knitting elastics.


Think of pattern first. I've found that most core spun yarns end up pretty bulky in size. Keep that in mind when you sample and it should tell you which would be the better approach.



Cj. Aberte mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Melbourne, FL USA

To stop mail temporarily mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
with the message: set nomail  To restore send: set mail

Reply via email to