On 30/11/14 7:48 PM, Jorgen Lundman wrote:
Yep, VFS it is. You might want to consider looking at FUSE for Mac. They
will do the kext and kernel parts, you just fill in the blanks in userland.
Upshot of that is it will work on other fuse platforms as well (with
minimal work).

If you go down the route of VFS, I spent a fair bit of time looking at
Apple's MSDOS opensource, maczfs and the source for hfs, to do the OpenZFS
work. It quite straight forward to get the ground work running, but it does
have some finer points that are unexpected and took longer to figure out.

There is no real documentation that I have found. The 2-3 kernel books for
OSX barely skim over it.

Sounds like an opportunity for a book! "OS X VFS In Action"!

--Toby

Lund

Jim Luther wrote:
It might take you less time to add server support for an existing protocol
than it will to write and test a VFS file system plugin. Another plus is
that if you pick a protocol supported by multiple operating systems (like
SMB), you widen your market.

- Jim

On Nov 29, 2014, at 8:56 AM, George K Colley <gcol...@apple.com