Eric,

Thanks for the info, that can explain the offset since I previously
upgraded the OS from Sierra which uses HFS+ for its root filesystem.

The reason that brought me looking into the fileid values, is some file
scanner design I'm currently working on that instead of iterating the files
according to their directory structure (i.e. BFS), I iterate according to
ascending file-id attribute, where I always assumed that the file-id starts
from zero.

Using this scanning order, I can halt my scanning and regain to it
according to the last scanned file-id (assuming that I can ignore newly
created files that got file-id value lower than this last scanned value).

I'd be happy if you could tell me what is the file-id allocation policy in
APFS or HFS+ in the following aspects

1. Is there any way to extract the current file-id range (minimum to
maximum fileid).

2. I've noticed that there are some gaps in file-id list. meaning that some
ids aren't connected to files. How can this happen (I assume it's due to
deleted files), and when creating new file, does it get file-id from the
lowest available value or the next file-id after the current maximum value.

3. I'd like to use an array that each index represent a file-id. Can I
assume that the file-ids aren't sparse (meaning that the gaps of unused id
values are small) so that I won't waste too much memory ?

4. Do you recommend other, more efficient way to iterate through the files
in order to ascending file-id, other than through the /.vol/ drive ?

Thanks a lot for your help.
Irad,