>Sharpness cannot be restored, it can only be simulated.  Sharpening causes
>deterioration in image quality, so it should be avoided until the image is
>about to be prepared for a specific use.  I archive all my images without
>sharpening.

Agree.  This is how I do mine.  I'll do all the crop, tonal and other adjustments --
except resizing -- and archive that photoshop psd file (and the original vuescan raw
scan file).  Then for specific "purposing" I'll resize or resample as appropriate and
sharpen as a last step before sending file to its destination.  As this discussion has
pointed out, the specific actions for purposing will be different depending on the use
and destination.  Even sharpening: some places will do their own sharpening (as
mentioned).  If I know this then I'll only lightly sharpen edges (a first stage of a
two pass sharpening process, described in a Creativepro article by Bruce Fraser at
<www.creativepro.com/story/feature/12189.html?origin=story>).  This article addresses
one of the discussion items of this thread here: in Fraser's words "one of the
important questions about sharpening: When in the image-editing process should you
sharpen?"

Another aspect of purposing, different for different destinations, is the file format.
 I've had more than one publicist and publisher request that I provide (email, ftp) a
jpeg in preference to a tiff because of the file size.  (For this I use a high/maximum
quality in photoshop terms: 10 to 12.)

--
Bob Shomler
http://www.shomler.com/