[I was off on vacation for 3 weeks and just got back last night, so
I'm replying to a very old message to clarify a couple of things]

On 8 Aug 2003 at 17:01, Tobias Giesen wrote:

> Dennis:
>
> > I'm not a tech junkie, and my tools are not obsolete.
>
> Forgive me, but Windows 98 IS obsolete. It's a piece of you-know-what.
> Admittedly, it's not your fault that it took Microsoft until Windows
> XP to get it right.

MS got it right with Windows 2000, and then, in my opinion, mucked it
up with WinXP.

> > ... if you can show me one thing that I need to
> > do on XP that I can't do on 98SE, go ahead.
>
> I can leave the PC running for weeks without rebooting. It NEVER
> crashes. It can have transparent windows. And, quite importantly, it
> looks nice. I have come to feel quite unconfortable with the old, old
> Windows look of the last decade.

I have left my PC on for weeks for several years, running NT 4 first,
and then running Win2K. I used Finale on a Win95 box that I rebooted
every day, but which was absolutely stable when up and running,
because I took good care of it. Obviously, not everyone has the
expertise for that, but to say that WinXP was the first decent
version of Windows is to ignore

> It can make good use of my dual-processor machine with 1 GB RAM. I
> need that power to compile TGTools and compress video in the
> background ;=) ... Windows XP lets me have dozens (sic!) of
> application windows open without the slightest delay switching between
> them. And of course, without ever crashing (I said that).
>
> etc. etc. etc.

You could have done those things with NT 4 a long time ago, and with
Win2K for the last several years. WinXP was not the first version of
Windows to be fast and stable.

> I just couldn't do what I do with Windows 98SE. It would be
> impossible.

I never liked Win98 and avoided it, because by the time it came out,
NT 4 was the obvious choice for stability and ease of use. However,
Finale was a problem with that until WinFin98 (or was it WinFin2K?),
so for heavy Finale users it wouldn't have worked. But Win2K has
always been a very good version of Windows. Indeed, I have no plans
to upgrade to WinXP until absolutely forced to do so. All of my
clients with it are having far too many problems with it for me to
advise using it. Of course, if you were coming to it from Win9x, it
would look like a great OS, but that's only if you haven't used Win2K
regularly for comparison.