On 09 Feb 2004, at 05:01 PM, Christopher BJ Smith wrote:

It looks to me that the difference between your first solution and this

quarter rest - eighth rest - a triplet consisting of: an eighth note followed by a sixteenth note, half rest

is only the length of the last note. If you needed the last note longer, why not just tie it to a sixteenth or eighth, rather than to a triplet value that doesn't get completed?

Because it's not my piece.

I totally agree with you that there will be little (if any) discernible difference between the original notation and the alternatives you suggest, but I just by looking at the piece, I can tell that the composer has certain conceptual reasons for preferring triplets here, and I'm guessing that for him, those reasons are going to trump practicality every time.

- Darcy

-----

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Brooklyn NY