> From: Darcy James Argue <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> I absolutely agree with John.  I read your explanation (w/diagram) and
> still couldn't make head nor tail of it.  I can't imagine this section
> going well in rehearsal if you leave it as you describe.  Just write it
> out for everyone, without the repeat.

I'm sorry it was so obtuse! There's a reason I had to do it this way but
it's somewhat involved to explain, so forgive me that, but here is what I
sent privately to John:

This is a TTBB adaptation of an SATB anthem. The road map must be exact,
because the accompaniment, orchestration, etc. is played from the SATB. I'm
also the arranger, and in the particular section in question I was
specifically asked to give the repeats some variety in part-writing, as
previous and subsequent sections are almost identical to this one. In this
case, the best way to do this was to put all the men in the tenor clef for
one repeat (singing certain parts) and then in the bass clef on the repeat
(singing different [i.e., higher] parts). To do it any other way would
require extending the measure count, which I can't do.

I've done what I should have done in the first place, which is to post the
segment in question on the web at this link:
<http://richardhuggins.com/finaleex/elijah.htm> I have left the rests in the
unused measures, as seems to be the opinion so far. I hope the graphic
clears up what I was talking about. Thanks.

Richard Huggins