On 16 Aug 2004 at 11:57, Andrew Stiller wrote:

> >On 15.08.2004 21:38 Uhr, Andrew Stiller wrote
> >
> >>  Finally, musicians of the period would not have hesitated to
> >>  combine viola on the top part with bass gamba on the lower.
> >
> >Don't get me wrong - I have no doubts you are right, but can you tell
> >me where you got this from? Is this just a guess or do you have
> >sources telling you this? Which?
> >
> >Johannes
>
> This is in Spitzer/Zaslaw, where it is repeated many times. The
> sources, if I recall correctly, are mainly iconographic. Also the
> confusion of terms (what is a "bass?" A "bass viol?" A "violone?") is
> suggestive.

The situation with violone, in particular, is extremely variable over
time and place. Even in one place (e.g., Vienna), the situation can
be quite complex, with multiple instruments of varying kind and size
being used in one era at that location interchangeably. The meaning
of the term "bassi" is, therefore, pretty nonspecific generally, and
can only be understood in terms of the likely practices of the
original context in which the music was originally performed.

In the case of Dennis's music, I'm not sure what to make of it. I
suspect that there are two things to consider:

1. what the composer considered good choices, AND

2. what would have been considered within the acceptable range of
possibilities.

Those two in many cases would be congruent, in others, there might be
widely variable geographical traditions that would be in
contradiction of each other. And in some music, idiomatic
instrumental writing could narrow the range of possibilities quite
severely.

I suspect that what actually happened in real life was that people
who acquired music with specific scorings would often substitute
anything that was needed to get the music performed, according to
what was available locally.

I wouldn't use that as a justification for playing the music on
whatever instruments you felt like, but I certainly would use it to
allow reasonable substitutions. And when the choice is between
performing the music with non-ideal instrumentation and not
performing it at all, I'd definitely prefer the former (unless, of
course, all you've got available is banjos).

I just recently played continuo for a performance of Handel's
"Alcina" that omitted the wind instruments entirely. The ommission of
the horns and flutes applied to only 3 arias in the whole opera, but
the omission of the oboes is a bigger deal, as the whole sound ideal
of Handel's opera orchestra includes that oboe doubling. But we had
dress rehearsals for our two performances in the mornings and after
contacting 18 different oboists, were unable to find anyone who was
available. Omitting them definitely eliminated a whole raft of
potential intonation problems, especially given that this was a
situation with very short rehearsal time, with all student performers
-- rehearsals began July 26th and the performances were Aug. 4th and
5th, barely 10 days later; the orchestra after the last performance
had read through the opera a grand total of 6 times, 1 orchestral
rehearsal (2 hours for a 3-hour opera, though with the massive cuts
we implemented, we got it down to just over 2 hours of music), one
orch/vocal rehearsal (2 hours), 2 dress rehearsals (4 of the 7 roles
were double cast) and two performances.

So, I think one has to consider what the intentions are, and then do
what you can to adapt where necessary.

Except for the banjos.