Well, it worked part way. The order of tools that I set in the Tool Bar was preserved, but it went back the Tool Bar went back to its default position of 3 columns on the upper left. Here's how I would like to have it: "Contemporary" palette, one horizontal column across top of screen. My workaround is to change the palette to "Classic," drag the Tool Bar (after some finagling) to one horizontal column across top, then change it back to "Contemporary."
So thank you Darcy and Karen for the method in which to keep the specified order. Now if only the other could be accomplished.
All the best,
KIM R