Dean,

How far is the lamp from your monitor?
One possibility for the quiver is that the lamp's transformer (if it uses one)
could be producing a large electric field which would affect your screen. I've
noticed a similar situation where someone placed his computer on the opposite
side of the wall from a refrigerator - huge electromagnetic fields there -
everytime the compressor came on, his screen would squiggle like crazy.

By the way,  I would generally not plug in anything else into your computer's
power strip except your computer and monitor, since they would be electrically
"closer" to your computer and any goofiness of any of the other items on the
power strip could affect your computer. In particular, I would be careful about
plugging printers into the same power strip. I would put the computer on a UPS
and ONLY the computer and the monitor (or related equipment, such as an
external disk drive). Printers have extremely variable loads, and should not be
plugged into a UPS.

It would depend quite a bit on your computer why it would shut down
mysteriously on you. Another factor (assuming it is external, since we can't
really rule out a computer problem), is bad power from your electric company.
If you have a brownout and your circuit is heavily loaded, voltage could drop
quite low (below 90 volts is not uncommon) and your computer's power supply
could shut down.

California (I note from you sig) is quite notorious for having flaky power (so
is Hawaii, for what it's worth). If you don't have a UPS, I would strongly
recommend getting one. They're getting to be quite inexpensive, and well worth
the cost.

Bruce