Dennis Bathory-Kitsz wrote:

At 08:15 AM 11/28/04 -0800, Carl Dershem wrote:

I keep a UPS, mostly in case my neighbors blow the master breaker (apartment living at its worst), or some bonehead knocks a power pole out with his car, but in nearly 50 years of living in California, I can recall precisely one power outage not caused by User Error.

You guys are lucky. We lose power about monthly for one reason or another, more often during the winter, and the UPS has really saved the day.

Where are you at? Even on the farm when I was a kid (and used electricity only a few hours a day, except for the well head), we never lost power that often.

Last year we were out for nearly 24 hours -- really rough as we lose our
water pump. We have wood heat for backup and cooking, so as long as we have
time to fill some jugs before the tank depressurizes, we're okay.

That's not good. Do you at least make it a practice to keep water jugs filled in case of outage?

And we're still trying to get Enron to pay us back for that one. :(

[Sound of coffee meeting keyboard.]

Hey - they caused the blackouts, and made lots of money off of them, but have refused to even consider repayment.

cd