On 4 Mar 2005 at 9:50, Johannes Gebauer wrote:

> David W. Fenton wrote:
>
> > My point is that simple optimization (i.e., removing blank staves
> > from a systen) should happen automatically if you have optimization
> > turned on for the passage of music represented on a system (while I
> > understand that Johannes has a use for optimization being stored in
> > absolute systems, I think that's a different kind of issue that
> > comes about because of the way one is forced to create parts in
> > Finale -- if they were all stored in the same file instead of in
> > separate files, his issue would likely go away, since you'd have a
> > score layout and a part layout, all stored in a single file; but
> > that's another issue where I think Finale is confusing and less than
> > ideal).
>
> In my case this has nothing to do with parts at all. The reason I need
> to optimize out parts which have got music in them has to do with
> doubling parts. For instance, in some situations the first and second
> violins play identical parts, and for space reasons I just want to
> show one of them, but the other one needs to have the music in it both
> for later part extraction but also because the decision to optimize
> out the second violin part is made at a later stage and needs to be
> reversible.

Well, again, if layout of score and parts all happened in a single
score, both having settings that could be controlled independently
(instead of parts inheriting all the settings from the score, with a
few exceptions), then it wouldn't be a problem.

Again, I'm not advocating the removal of present functionality, just
a rationalization of default behavior. As I just said in another
message, in many aspects Finale seems to me to be designed more to
handle the exceptions well than to do "normal" tasks easily.