Robert Patterson schrieb:
By contrast, I still have a few MacOS binaries I purchased in the 1980s that still work just fine in Panther OSX. In particular MS Word 5.1 and MS Works 3.

And to take this point one step further, these programs are likely to keep functioning as long as Apple keeps the Classic Environment as part of OS X (which I don't believe will be forever, but it is likely to stay in there for the next two major OS X upgrades). The reason being that the Classic environment will not be changed as far as the actual OS 9 System is concerned. The same is true for old Finale versions, if they work now they will work for some time. No guarantees, but a pretty likely scenario.

--
http://www.musikmanufaktur.com
http://www.camerata-berolinensis.de