On 17 Mar 2005, at 11:00 PM, John Bell wrote:

I have a small project in which I do want to produce some music that looks handwritten. My own style, pre-computer, was distinctive in that I attached all stems, whether up or down ones, to the right-hand side of note-heads. Is there any way that this can be achieved with Jazz or Inkpen?

John, I'm afraid I think that's an absolutely awful idea. Just because you want a project to look handwritten, that doesn't give you license to make up the rules as you go along. If you really want it to look like authentic manuscript, get a copy of Clinton Roemer's _The Art of Music Copying_ and follow his practices.

There's good and bad handwritten music, just as there is good and bad engraving. Putting all downstems on the right-hand side of the notehead falls squarely in the latter category.

- Darcy
-----
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Brooklyn, NY