Carl Dershem wrote:

dhbailey wrote:

 > How do you handle those situations, say with a 6-bar intro, and 2

written-out choruses of a 32 bar song form? If you ask for bar 7, which do you mean: the first bar of the first time through the song-form, or the 7th bar of the first time through the song form or the 7th bar of the second time through the song form? Especially if you get to the middle of the second time through the song form and things fall apart.

That's why I like rehearsal letters. Even when the form is irregular "OK - start 2 after 'C'" will (if the parts and score are copied properly, and match) lead everyone to the same place. Numbers, as we've shown here, can be confusing, but letters are arbitrary enough (not always a bad thing) that argument is less common.

cd

I agree, and best of all is when there are measure numbers AND rehearsal letters.

--
David H. Bailey