On Mar 30, 2005, at 3:04 PM, John Howell wrote:

The video out on my tiMac Powerbook G4 is a small 15-pin trapezoidal plug that needs a matching cable, and it's identified by a highly-stylized monitor (looking something like a double whole note!). Once plugged in, with both the projector and computer on, you may need to find the monitor icon (I've put mine in the line of stuff across the top) and tell it to "detect displays," or sometimes to "mirror." And you have to make sure that the projector is getting the signal on the right input.

I JUST did this yesterday with my wife's Powerbook G4. The little Super-VHS plug has a little shorty of a cable on it (came with the computer) and once I plugged that in, a regular RCA plug took the video to my VCR in standard VHS format. Otherwise a SVHS cable will plug SVHS format directly, say to a non-Firewire video camera.

One thing I had to do was press F2 to make the computer auto-recognize the output, and then F7 to toggle between mirror screen and two-screen configuration. Since I was in iMovie at the time, it made iMOvie quit when the computer saw the low resolution of my VCR! FOrtunately, once I had toggled to two-screen format, iMovie ran comfortably in my Powerbook's native resolution while happily sending low-res video out the other output!

I must say, it took me a little fiddling to discover the F2 (auto detect screen) button. It didn't work until then.

Christopher