On 6 Jun 2005 at 20:36, Johannes Gebauer wrote:

> Doubt it or not, apparently it already is, on a Pentium 4, while Jobs
> was giving his keynote, publically.

Well, it may have been an Intel chip on the motherboard of the
machine running demos, but:

1. we don't know if it's a garden-variety Pentium, one of Intel's new
dual-core Pentium D chips, which aren't yet available in any
commercially available PCs.

2. we don't know what the motherboard was, which is crucial. It was
surely not an Intel-based motherboard with legacy BIOS and so forth --
it was almost certainly an Apple motherboard with whatever adaptation
is necessary to connect to a different CPU.

In short, this does *not* mean that we'll be able to buy OS X and
install it on our PCs.

All it means is that there will be an Intel-manufactured chip at the
heart of the boxes Apple sells, but the boxes themselves will still
reflect Apple engineering at all levels, and not be at all
interchangeable with, say, a Dell box with the same CPU.

That's the only possible way Apple could make this work -- otherwise
they'd be in the same boat as Microsoft, having to support so many
different configurations of hardware that they could never create a
truly reliable system.

All that aside, the real issue here may be completely different. Some
provocative articles on what this is really about:

(from January 2005)

http://www.wired.com/news/mac/0,2125,67749,00.html?tw=wn_tophead_1

Basically, according to the speculation in these articles, it's all
about DRM (Digital Rights Management) and the movie industry, and
repositioning the Mac as the premier platform for delivery of on-
demand movies/video.