On 23 Jun 2005, at 2:28 AM, Eric Dannewitz wrote:

Darcy James Argue wrote:

I'd say Tuba, French Horn, Fender Rhodes,

GPO Jazz/Big Band already has Rhodes piano.

It does not say Rhodes piano, it says, according to the site, http://garritan.com/jazz.html, Vintage Electric Piano. That could be anything. Could be a Yamaha DX7 for all I know. Vintage Electric Piano does not equal Fender Rhodes. It could be a RMI Electra-Piano, a Wurlitzer, I could go on........

95% of the time, "Vintage Electric Piano" is code for Rhodes (which they can't actually say, for trademark reasons). Sure, theoretically, it _could_ be anything, but I'd be pretty surprised if it turned out to be anything other than a Rhodes.

 acoustic/electric guitar.

It already has 2 electric guitars (no acoustic).

Did you look at the website before posting this?  The info is here:

http://www.garritan.com/jazz.html

Yeah, I did smart ass. It says TWO ELECTRIC Guitars. No acoustic.

Um, yeah -- isn't that *exactly what I said*, immediately above? (And what's with the gratuitous insults? Chill out, already.)

There are *lots* of classic jazz recordings with B3 -- like ferinstance, Larry Young's _Unity_, with Joe Henderson and Elvin Jones. That said, I agree with you. You can get good B3 samples elsewhere and I'm not exactly broken up about the lack of B3 organ. I was just listing some instruments that would make more sense -- a *lot* more sense -- than subcontrabass saxophone.

On this we agree. All those strange saxophones need to go.

Well, I don't know that they "need to go," now that they've been sampled and programmed. It will actually be kind of fun to have them. But recording them was a very strange use of limited resources, even if their player already owned all these obscure saxes.

Jazz violin?

Uh, yes.  More common than sopranino saxophone, right?

Again, it's like C-Melody. I know of no jazz saxophonist in the SF Bay Area that plays/records on it.

Jazz violin is actually much more common than C-Melody sax. There are lots of jazz violinists in NYC, so I'm sure there are at least a few in the Bay Area.

(Again, I'm not saying "No basic jazz sample library would be complete without jazz violin" -- just that it would be a more defensible choice than some of the other instruments Gary decided to include.)

People are bound to say (as I did) -- "Why on earth did you include C-melody saxophone but not [instrument X]?"

[...]  A Marimba would be nice to have.......

See what I mean? [grin]

Marimba's cool but pretty rare in jazz contexts. [Although *I* use it a fair bit.] However, I imagine anyone who really needed marimba -- like, say, me -- would want the Orchestral GPO as well as the Jazz Edition.

- Darcy
-----
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Brooklyn, NY