At 6/24/2005 12:40 PM, Darcy James Argue wrote:

>On 24 Jun 2005, at 12:16 PM, Dennis Bathory-Kitsz wrote:
>
>> At 11:56 AM 6/24/05 -0400, Darcy James Argue wrote:
>>> Audio drift in GPO is, unfortunately, *not* subtle -- like I said,
>>> when
>>> GPO gets overloaded, it drops *lots* of frames -- often entire beats
>>
>> Does this same problem occur when you send the entire document to an
>> audio
>> file? I know that the studio software I use has a live mode and a
>> file-save
>> mode. The live mode can choke, but the file-save mode works out of real
>> time, and doesn't lose info.
>
>Hi Dennis,
>
>The "save as audio" in GPO Studio works in real time (i.e., you still
>have to play back the file in Finale).  The results are actually a
>little better than you'd expect from listening to the playback you're
>recording -- for some reason, some of the pops and clicks audible
>during playback don't get saved to the audio file  -- but when GPO
>trips up badly (usually due to too much polyphony), the audio file is
>definitely affected.

This is interesting.

Maybe the processor is not that good at switching between processes, or interleaving with disk access?

It sounds like the tasks are being starved of processing time.

Maybe that's why Apple is switching to Intel?

Just a thought.

Phil Daley          < AutoDesk >
http://www.conknet.com/~p_daley