keith helgesen wrote:

TG, Patterson etc *should* be paid handsomely for their work- but by Finale, not the great unwashed.

A few comments about this.

First, MM has paid me and also a number of other well-known plugin developers. That's the reason you get Patterson Beams and Beam Over Barlines included. I didn't just give away the Lite version.

Second, I would much rather someone else had done all the work that went into my plugins, but I needed their functionality and I didn't see anyone stepping up to do it. MM certainly would not have done it.

Third, despite the shareware fees, no one is getting rich from writing Finale plugins. If you divided the hours I spent on them into the amount of money I've received, it might be little more than minimum wage. The primary motivation for me is in the utility they provide me as a user, not the money.

Finally, no one has to use them. These plugins are an add-on. Most of their regular users feel the modest registration fee is more than compensated for by the additional automation they offer, but ymmv. You can do just about everything any plugin does using native Finale.

My basic reaction to this post is, yeah I agree. It would be nice if lunches were free, but unfortunately they aren't.

A passing thought: some users have opted to buy plugins rather than upgrade Finale during a particular year. If you make heavy use of notation features, a year with few notation enhancements may be a good year to forgo upgrading in favor of buying plugins.

--
Robert Patterson

http://RobertGPatterson.com