The work in question is most definitely in two groups of 3 beats each (although it often hemiolas into 3/2 temporarily). I just wasn't certain, in 6/4, whether five beats rest should generally be a dotted half plus two quarters or a dotted half plus a half. The latter is easy to read,

My 2c: as long as it's not misleading, isn't that the point?

but I suspect that Johannes is indeed on target with his asstertion that the former is most correct?

That may be so, but see above.

Also, for another example: two beats rest, followed by a quarter note, quarter note, half note. Should the rest(s) be two quarter rests, or will a half suffice?

Again I say, if it's clear and easy, it's clear and easy. I can think of situations in which being correct according to older practice would be more clear, but language (written and spoken, and symbolic like written music) changes and tends towards efficiency and simplicity, and I'm usually for it.

Chuck

My principal composition teacher, the late Nelson Keyes, was always quite irked when he would see a half rest in 3/4 in a published work, but it is a rule that is often broken. I don't know if this is the same type of situation.

Please don't let me down this time, folks!

Raymond Horton

Chuck Israels
230 North Garden Terrace
Bellingham, WA 98225-5836