Ken Durling wrote:
At 03:37 AM 7/8/2005, you wrote:

Because a serious musician can set a metronome to 80 and at least try to make an attempt to follow that tempo, while nobody has a metronome that I've ever seen which will give a 69.75 tempo so nobody can even try to follow it, even if they want to.

No but often we ask ourselves or others to "lay back" on a beat, or to "push" it slightly without actually altering the basic pulse. Maybe this is a way to try and notate that. Set your metronome to 69 and lean on it ever so slightly.

Actually, Ferneyhough's apparently-ludicrous metronome markings have a logic to them. A score I have in front of me begins with 8th=54, the next marking is 8th=60.75, then 47.25 and back to 54.

This may seem an impossible task - until you realise that the ratio 54:60.75 is the same as 8:9, and 54:47.25 is 8:7. So they're actually rather simple shifts in tempo.

On the other hand, and this has probably been mentioned, I've read that B.F. is more concerned with the *effect* produced by a virtuoso musician essaying some of these "extreme" effects, than their absolute accuracy. And, one is not to read that as " he doesn't really care how it sounds" - the effect (of intensity) will only result if you make a concerted effort. I think it's a response to the prevalence of the virtuoso tradition, a sort of "that will give them something to do." We want to hear the result of the interaction.

That's spot on. I've also seen him criticise students for using *unnecessary* complexity.