On 8 Jul 2005 at 11:57, Andrew Stiller wrote:
> On Jul 8, 2005, at 1:22 AM, Owain Sutton wrote:

> >>  the still-small set
> >> of musicians who can play a quintuplet accurately in the first
> >> place.
>
> You can't be serious. Chopin requires them!

And my bet is that Chopin didn't play his quintuplets with all 5
notes having exactly the same length. That is in contrast to what I
understand many of today's composers to be asking for.

> >> I personally question the value of having such rhythms in music
> >> when there's plenty of life left in the ones most people can
> >> actually play, but hey, you write what you like, no problem with
> >> me.
>
> Rhythms at this level of complexity appear in a large body of music
> from the late 14th-early 15th centuries. Should these be ignored?

. . . music that we have no idea if it was actually performed or not,
and music that if it was actually performed, we have no idea how
those rhythmic complexities were actually realized -- literally or
according to some kind of oral tradition.