On Jul 8, 2005, at 5:24 PM, David W. Fenton wrote:

On 8 Jul 2005 at 10:21, Christopher Smith wrote:

My trick was (for 4 sixteenths, a quintuplet, and a quarter note) to
say out loud "TEE-ry tee-ry MATH-e-ma-ti-cal TAH." My nine year old
can do it (I tested it out on him.)

Hmm. You pronounce "mathematical" differently than I do. My rhythm
for it is 8th 8th 16th 16th 8th, with "ma-ti" being a subdivision of
the length of the other syllables. In other words, four feet.

Canadian. I have no other explanation.

This came up a while ago, and some regions drop the "e", making it four syllables, not unlike the beginning of a Viennese waltz QEEQ.

Yes, I can distort the pronunciation to be a quintuplet.

Try this one from an older musician than I am: for quintuplets say "Lollobrigida." For septuplets, say "Gina Lollobrigida." Hey, works for me!

Christopher