At 06:30 PM 7/9/2005, you wrote:
---'Erase background' in the staff style does not seem to carry over to the
articulation.

---Vertical positioning in the staff style does not seem to carry over to
the articulation although I have the horizontal about right.

---Even with horizontal positioning correct for most cases, sometimes it
needs to be tweaked, but articulations cannot be dragged left and right as
far as I can tell. (Actually it is worse than that. The fingering number is
placed relative to the notehead and cannot be dragged to the left of a sharp
sign. I could drag it down so it went behind the sharp and then could not
grab  it again to move or delete it.)

---Even though I have changed the name of the articulation to '4' from
'Fermata (pause)', that name does not change in the shortcuts menu. So if I
changed articulation definitions for a whole bunch of existing articulations
I would have to have keep track of what they all were in order to program
the shortcuts. (Maybe that list resets when the program is rebooted, but I
have not tried with the demo in case I would lose all I have changed so
far.)

---There are not  enough existing shortcut articulation slots to accommodate
the fingerings and other signs that I need (and still keep the regular
articulations that I would need).

---BIG PROBLEM: You cannot use more than one instance of an articulation on
a chord. So if there is a guitar chord for which I want to have two '0' to
show open strings Sibelius will not do it.

Richard,

All of the above is true. For your needs I would clone a shortcut-activated text expression and set it up to center horizontally on the notehead, with the option to precisely place it vertically where the mouse is clicked (rather than a default position, which is always measured from the notehead. This would necessitate typing the number each time (though you could set up all the numbers in a word menu and assign shortcuts, but why bother. These could be moved in all directions, and be made to erase the background. And they, including their precise positioning, can be copied. This is what I usually do for fingerings, but I usually don't have to do that many.

Dan

Daniel Carno
Music Engraving Services
Quality work in Sibelius, Finale, and Score
4514 Makyes Road
Syracuse, New York 13215
(315) 492-2987