At 12:30 PM 7/10/2005, you wrote:

I want different shortcut keys for specific fingering numbers. I do
appreciate your trying to help with this Ken but you really do not seem to
be following what I am trying to do very closely. Perhaps you are not
familiar with Finale.

Richard -

You're right, I'm not very familiar with Finale. That's why I'm here on this list. I'm learning quite a bit. I see now that you want a one-step fingering shortcut, and it may not be possible with Sibelius. But I have fingering set up to be Alt-F and then a numeral, and I do find it to be very fast. Repositioning from the resulting row does have to be done with a plug-in, but I can live with that. Your mileage may vary.

> >- Such text expressions (as contrasted with articulations) do not allow
> >predefined precise positioning relative to the notehead.
> >
> >So, one fingering number always requires:
> >
> >     1. click the notehead,
> >     2. press the shortcut key,
> >     3. type the character,
> >     4. always grab and drag the character with the mouse.
>
> No, not always.  You decide what the spacing is that you want to be the
> default.  If that is intelligently chosen by the user, it should be an
> "occasionally drag or nudge" as below.

The options in Staff Styles allow only left, right and center for horizontal
positioning and which staffs for vertical positioning. I see no way of
positioning text precisely with reference to the notehead.

Two places you can specify this: House Styles > Default positions, and Plug Ins > Text > Reposition text. As has been already discussed I think the latter option is the best, as Default positions only references position relative to staff whereas you want notehead reference, as do I.

> >With Finale I just:
> >
> >     1. press the metatool key while clicking the note,
> >     2. occasionally drag or nudge the character.
> >
> >Last, it does not seem that respacing will correct collisions of notes
and
> >these fingering numbers. If there really is no way except by manually
> >positioning notes then Sibelius is dozens of times slower.
> >
> >What am I still missing?
>

> I don't see "dozens of times slower" at all.

If I have to manually adjust the position of most notes before the ones with
fingering numbers than it will be dozens of times slower.

> You've combined 1 + 2 in the
> Sib example above into 1 in the Finale example - I don't see a big
> difference there, click and type shortcut is very fast.

It is two actions in sequence instead of two that are simultaneous. That
makes it about half as fast. I also did not mention that, in Sibelius, in
order to drag the text once entered you apparently have to click again to
exit from the text cursor so there is yet another step. By comparison in
Finale after the symbol is placed it is already selected for dragging or
nudging.

It stays selected upon entry in Sib also. .

> Does the Metatool
> key always give you the same fingering?   How do you specify different
> fingerings?

In Finale once the Articulation Tool is selected then my keyboard is
programmed so that different keys produce different specific articulations.
I have about 25 of them. One key = one symbol.

 It seems to me Sib step 3 has to be in the Finale example
> somewhere.

No it is not. Each shortcut key places the symbol.

OK, gotcha. I don't think this is something Sib can do. As I said there is the extra step of specifying the numeral.

> As for text positioning, there is the plug-in "Reset text
> position" which will do a whole passage in one pass.

Reset to what? Fingerings need to be associated positionally with notes.
What does 'Reset text position' do?

I'm sorry, I misstated it, the plug-in isn't "Reset" it's
"Reposition" and it repositions them (from the default staff position) to a position *relative to the notehead* as you say, that you specify when you run the plug in.

HTH

Ken