At 7/31/2005 05:01 PM, David W. Fenton wrote:

>> Since it is so easy to use a CD Creator program and you can save the
>> "Image file" so it can be used multiple times, I can see no reason to
>> use an unreliable program, like XCOPY.
>
>How do you script a CD Creator program for regular backup, so that
>it's a single doubleclick for the end user?

It can even be added to the Task Scheduler, so that users wouldn't even have to think about "double clicking" anything.

>Secondly, why would you want to repeatedly backup a single image of
>your data files?

You've lost me.  I thought that was what you were doing with a backup script?

I thought you were copying a set of directories to a CD-R.

That's what a Creator script does, makes the same type of backup to a CD-R. Obviously, it copies all the changes, which you don't seem to understand.

>If you're doing a full backup, yes, imaging the drive is great.

No.  I would never ever do a full backup, too big, too many CDs.

>But if all you're doing is a data backup (substantially less data),
>then it's not satisfactory.

Of course not, that is not what I was saying to do.

>1. the built in backup program provided with WinXP can only use hard
>drives or floppy disks, not CD-R.

I would never use a Microsoft backup program.

>2. the built-in tools for creating CD-Rs are not scriptable, so you
>can't create a backup script to run at will or no a schedule.

I said you need a CD Creator program.

>What would you suggest for backup, both method and medium?

A CD Creator program.  Didn't you read my message?

Phil Daley          < AutoDesk >
http://www.conknet.com/~p_daley