On Aug 2, 2005, at 2:39 AM, dhbailey wrote:

My knee-jerk reaction in the past would have been, "Yes, the upgrade is worth it, even if only for the below-the-surface improvements" but with this one I'm not sure.

I just installed FinMac '06 tonight, and everything went without a hitch.  I ran the preinstall app that MM provided, and ran the GPO update after installing Finale.  Everything works.  Since I have the full version of GPO, I really can see no need for FinGPO, but it's all really a moot point anyway, since my dual 800 G4 with <only> 1 Gig of RAM practicallly chokes on only two GPO instruments, flute and piano, for example.  I know that the Steinway sample is a big hog, but I tried the lite version and still my computer was pushed to its very limits--both in RAM and processing power.

This afternoon I recorded a piece for flute and piano (Pavane by Fauré) using the GPO Studio in FinMac '05, using Quicktime Pro to make the recording.  With these two instruments loaded my RAM usage went to 600 MB, and my two processors were near 100% for the entire length of the recording.

Tonight I recorded the same piece, using the same method in FinMac '06 and my RAM usage went to 830 MB, and my processors were again very near 100% the entire way.  It seems to me that this method (using GPO Studio, rather than AU) is the only way I can use my own sound modules in combination with GPO, but man, it hits the computer hard!

I also tried recording the same piece using FinGPO (RAM went to around 500 MB and processors were in the 60s to 70s), but the sound quality suffered quite a bit.

I tried using the full GPO and AU playback (RAM was again creeping toward 800 MB and CPU was in the 70s to 80s, not as bad as GPO Studio).

On the Garriton website it says that a computer with a gig of RAM should be able to load an entire orchestra, but I can't even come close to that on my machine.  So I don't see that I'll be using GPO too much until I can upgrade my computer, but I knew that would be the case.

Also, none of the flute sounds were really very convincing to my ears, but I <am> a flute player, so you can take that opinion with a grain of salt.  I like Dan Dean's solo winds better than GPO, but I can't use them in Finale, because of MM's marriage to GPO and NI.

On the other hand:

1. I'm very happy to have 8 X 16 MIDI slots, which now means I can use all of my sound modules (dated as they are, I still have a fondness for them). And, like I said, the GPO Studio can be used to load GPO samples along with my sound modules.

2. Slurs and hairpins really look 100% better!  They're absolutely elegant!  (at least compared to the way they used to look on a Mac)

3.  I completed a Mozart Minuet and Trio, arranged for alto sax and piano, in about an hour, and things seemed to me to be a little snappier than FinMac '05.  But keep in mind that I was using my own sounds, since we all know GPO contains no saxes, anyway.  (BTW, the demo saxes on Gary's website are pretty impressive to my ears, and I'm a sax player.  I'm looking forward to getting that collection as soon as it comes out.)  But the important thing to me was that after playing with GPO for a while, I was able to get right back to work.  In other words, the upgrade didn't disrupt my workflow the way some previous upgrades did, especially the one where they changed all the Simple Entry keystrokes.  Rather than relearn Simple I switched to Speedy and never looked back.

4. Human Playback is improved--it almost plays the flute trills and grace notes convincingly.

5. The Studio View comes in handy for adjusting volume between the two instruments.  I've often seen dynamic markings one degree lower for the piano (sax-f, pno-mf, etc.) in pieces like this, but in this piece dynamics were identical in both parts, so the pno. tended to overpower the sax.  No problem, just back off the pno. volume in the mixer.  The solo-accompaniment balance can also be adjusted in the HP prefs, BTW.  The Tap Tempo has me baffled so far, though.  I guess I'll have to read up on that.

So, yeah, I think the upgrade is worth the price, even though I probably won't be using GPO much for now, and that's what all the ballyhoo has been about.

I'll still be using Digital Performer for recording mockups, though.  When it comes to recording, I just don't see Finale <ever> giving me the flexibility I have in DP.

I'm also waiting for my copy of Sibelius 4 with its much-discussed "dynamic part linking."  I'm with Hiro--I'm having fun with all of this stuff. ;-)

Lon

Lon Price, Los Angeles

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

<http://hometown.aol.com/txstnr/>