Darcy James Argue wrote:
On 02 Aug 2005, at 2:11 PM, dhbailey wrote:

I definitely hear the difference. I just don't see what all the fuss is about. Some of the GPO sounds are a bit better (strings) some are worse (trombone, piano) to my ears.

You honestly like the SoundFont piano better than the GPO Steinway???

[boggle]

Well, okay then. I'm perplexed as to how anyone could possibly feel that way, but as they say on the internets, YMMV. But by every objective technical measure (number of notes sampled, number of dynamics sampled, quality of the instrument sampled, quality of the recording, etc) the GPO piano is vastly superior.

But there's no accounting for taste is there? I guess that's why there are Steinway pianos and Bosendorfer pianos and Yamaha pianos in concert halls around the world. When I listen I couldn't care less about objective technical measures, it's the sound that I care about.

I don't think I'm alone. That must be why there are many different sample collections even within the Native Instruments format, several different orchestral groups, to say nothing about other format collections such as GigaSampler.

I'm glad to have been able to boggle at least one or two people today.

Momma always said that it's good for people's minds to be boggled now and then. :-)

--
David H. Bailey