Thank you Darcy and Hiro - Yes I have tried reducing that, no change. Also
tried reducing volume in instrument list window and Base Velocity in
Playback options (what is the difference in these two settings?) and volume
in Windows sound Properties. Shouldn't these all be overridden by dynamic
expressions anyway? I have fiddled around now quite a lot and still seems to
be no logic to when it distorts.

For what it is worth, this was my method for rehearsal CDs in WinFin2k5

Open Piano Vocal score (SATB and Piano)

Clear everything except notes (lyrics measure expressions, smart shapes etc.
etc. - the shortcuts have changed for this in 2k6 but that's another thread,
I don't like the new mass edit).

Add dynamics such - sop fff ATB ppp piano p

Save as special (*.wav)

Change sop to ppp Alto to fff

Save

Etc. - I'm sure you get the idea. (I do not need expression in these files,
they are purely for note-bashing, I put the expression in in rehearsals)

On a new file in 2k6 this does not produce consistent results. I can get the
first file (Sop) ok but then when I change the dynamics for the Alto file,
sometimes the LH of the Piano goes wild (distorted), sometimes the RH. I can
stop the distortion (sometimes!) by changing the channel in the Instrument
list window. But sometimes this doesn't work.  I will try using the mixer
(ugh) rather than dynamics and see if that makes any sense.

Gary