Johannes Gebauer wrote:

>I just wished Thunderbird would support selective quoting (where you
>select something in the original message, click "Reply", and only that
>portion is quoted at the beginning of the reply message).
>

>Thunderbird is a great email client, but this is a huge step back from
>Claris Emailer and Outlook Express Mac. Very annoying. If anyone has a
>solution (and QuickReply isn't a solution, it doesn't work properly for
<me) let me know.

Not very quick, as I have just reminded myself, if you take the digest.

1) Block from the message header to the end of the part to which I wish to reply.

2) [CTRL C]

3) Click on "Reply"; this sets To: and From: correctly.

4) Replace the Subject: contents with the message subject.

5) Delete up to the message author.

6) Replace from the space after the author's name to the beginning of the quote with "wrote: [NL] [NL]"

7) Insert ">" at the beginning of each line of the message, with deletions and additions of [NL] if necessary to eliminate short lines.

8) Add my reply.

On another mailing list that I take (indivisual posts), where nested quotes are often used to excess, deletions are even more detailed.

--
Ken Moore
Musician and engineer