At 03:27 PM 08/11/2005, David W. Fenton wrote:
>I' not sure I quite understand how the list software can address
>that, as it isn't processing the header -- the sender's SMTP server
>is doing it.

Right. If you have 'avoid' set to Yes, what Mailman does is look to see if you are explicitly named in the To or CC fields. If you are, then it doesn't send you a message through the list, since it assumes you've already been sent one directly. In other words, it doesn't discard the one addressed personally -- as you've surmised, it *can't* do that. It just chooses not to send you one as part of the group.

The problem with this setting is (I think) that the one copy of the message you do receive will only have Reply-To set to the person who sent the message, and not to the list at all. So that if you have 'avoid' set to Yes, and you have a redundant Reply-To in your own MUA (as you do), and someone replies to one of your messages, and you reply to *that* message, your reply will not go to the list at all. That's a little confusing, but it makes sense if you think it through.

>So far as I can tell, that setting applies only to duplication
>between CC and To (which is what it says), and wouldn't have any
>effect on the current situation.

If the Reply-To of a message I receive has your address and the list's, then my reply will have both addresses in To.

>But the problem is not caused by *me* -- it's caused by an incorrect
>configuration of the mailing list software.

Well, it's caused by a certain setting in the software which would arguably be better set the other way. It's also caused by your MUA setting an un-needed and redundant Reply-To header. What would be nice is if Mailman could look at the Reply-To header and strip it out if it corresponds with the email address of an existing list subscriber.

Aaron.