David W. Fenton wrote:

That would be Kalmus, of course.

Ray adds:

Thanks for the first part of that sentence, David. The "of course" was not appropriate in this instance, of course!

I have played as many or more bad Kalmus editions as any one else on this list. Take a look at the bass trombone part to the Shostakovitch 1st for a real crime - whole passeges left out, and others written in the wrong octave by someone who couldn't figure out how to convert alto clef into bass. Why he/she didn't leave the passage in alto, I don't know. I never associated with Kalmus the color pink. My color-OK family members in the other room say they see other colors on the covers they have - green, etc.
Well, I don't think there was any purpose served in color-encoding the references to publishers -- I was just following the practice already established, for humor's sake.

Yes, I realized that. I really did not mean to sound like I was criticizing you in this instance, as the pink reference was very much in context (more in context if it was corrrect, I suppose, but, whatever...).

It just that there are too many things in the world that are color-coded that don't have to be.

A number of years ago, when my orchestra would do some rehearsals at the local large university (U. of Louisville) they would give us these parking passes that would have one shade of a color, supposedly green, on them. I would drive around until and hold the parking pass up next to sign until I found one that looked the same color, as far as I could tell. Then I would come back and find a ticket on my car because that wasn't green, it was brown or something. The supposedly green signs looked NOTHING like the shade of green on the parking pass they'd given me. I'd go to the parking office and complain until they would excuse the ticket. The problem was, they'd say, the parking passes and the signs are printed by two different companies and they're color greens don't match. I suggested that they paint their colors on the sign and the parking pass if they want, but right in the middle put a box with the word "GREEN." They said they'd think about it - and did nothing.

The next year - same damn thing happened. (I tried my best, believe me.) This time I went to the parking office and screamed louder, making the same suggestion. They said they'd think about it - and did it! I don't know if I'm the only one who had the problem (I doubt it) or the only one who made the suggestion, but it gives me tremendous satisfaction to see those signs there with all the different shades of green and brown on them, but with GREEN and BROWN spelled out in the middle for the 20 or 25% percent of males who are color-deficient.
Of course, Kalmus has actually changed its ways and is engraving its own editions, some of them actually respectable new editions and not stolen from anyone else. This has been the case for about the last 10 years, at least.

Yes, the Master Music catalog has put out some nice, low-cost, quality editions of works that were formerely available only from high priced foreign sources. One dealer told me it was Kalmus's son, and he was interested in input as to what pieces to bring out. That was several years back, though. _______________________________________________