On 17 Sep 2005 at 10:03, Andrew Stiller wrote:

> Well if that's the tack we're taking, then the elimination of
> percussion maps has to go at the top of the list. Just last week I had
> a long back-and-forth w.  someone at MakeMusic who had the greatest
> difficulty even imagining the idea that someone might want to enter
> percussion notes on a plain old ordinary staff and have them play back
> properly based on instrument names placed in the score as note
> expressions or staff names, without the user having to configure a
> balky, rebarbative, and entirely counterintuitive database behind the
> scenes.

Well, I think your gripe is with the people who defined the way
percussion works in General MIDI. And I absolutely understand why
they did it the way they did, because the result is that you can
allocate a single channel (out of the meager 16 that were all that
were available back then) to percussion and play many, many
instruments with it.

Otherwise, even simple pieces with bass drum, snare drum, crash
cymbals, hi-hat, ride cymbal and woodblock would take up 6 of your
MIDI tracks. That's fine as long as you only need 10 or fewer other
instruments, but it's a pretty severe limitation.

Also, it would mean for these 6 instruments you'd basically have to
allocate 2 staves, and put each instrument in a separate layer, or
allocate a lot more staves. Now, putting bass, snare and crash
cymbals on a single staff is standard practice. You might even add
either the hi-hat or ride cymbal, but depending on how extensive a
part for the individual instruments are, you very well might want it
all on one staff. With just 4 channels per staff available (4
layers), you couldn't do it unless there were only 4 unique
instruments playing at a time (you'd have to use patch-switching
expressions).

> If I create a note expression reading "snare drum" and attach it to a
> note, Finale shd. be intelligent enough to automatically give me a
> snare drum sound from all  recurrences of  that "pitch" until further
> notice. Also, I should be able to switch from, say, snare drum  to
> vibraphone and back again  without  having to invoke staff styles.

I don't see any way around percussion maps, except for GM
synthesizers, where the map is defined. For non-GM synthesizers,
you'd always need to set up a map for Finale.

I agree that the existing UI is confusing and I was never truly
successful making it work. Thankfully, I don't have to deal with
percussion much (I've only done so 3 times in almost 15 years of
using Finale).

But the basic problem is not a Finale problem, but a challenge of the
way the designers of MIDI wisely decided to implement percussion.
Criticize the UI all you want, but the basic concept is not (and
*should* not) go away.

-- 
David W. Fenton                        http://www.bway.net/~dfenton
David Fenton Associates                http://www.bway.net/~dfassoc

_______________________________________________
Finale mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.shsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/finale

Reply via email to