On 03.11.2005 Andrew Stiller wrote:
IMO Finale 2K2 was the finest iteration of the program ever produced. I would still be using it today were it not for the fact that it will not run in OSX, and System 9 is dying. Because of the necessity of jumping to OSX (which I loathe, hate, and despise, but what ya gonna do?) I now do most of my work in 2K4, which is nice and stable, and has only minor bugs. 2K5, by all reports, is similar.

Given the bugs in 2K6, you should by no means purchase it, discount or no. You *should* however get 2K5 because sooner or later you're not going to be able to use System 9, or any application tied to it, and will need to update all your Finale files with an OSX-ready version--a job better done now than later.

It is interesting how experiences vary. I found 2k4 pretty unusable on the Mac. Slow and buggy. 2k5 was much better, and personally I prefer 2k6. But then I have not been hit by the bugs. There are certainly problems in all versions of Finale.

Contrary to what other people say I do not believe that 2k6 crashes any more than 2k5 or 2k4, if you only do the same things with it. When GPO comes into play things may indeed be different, simply because GPO eats resources, especially memory. However, as long as you don't activate it this shouldn't be a problem.

The dataloss bug does indeed sound serious, no doubt. However, by my own experience I believe it is pretty unlikely to happen if you only have one document open at the time - I have used 2k6 pretty heavily in the last few months and I have not seen any sign of the bug.

Johannes

--
http://www.musikmanufaktur.com
http://www.camerata-berolinensis.de