This has been my experience as well - on an HP 5000N.  Even medium

weight letter size paper will jam often in the duplexer.  It works

pretty well with lighter stock.  Heavy paper works fine from the

utility tray.  I use that all the time for 9.5 x 12.5 inch heavy

paper for parts without a problem.

Chuck

I have a HP 5000N with duplexer and seem to find it the other way round to you guys. I often get jams on duplexing with ordinary 80gm paper but seem to have less problems with a heavier weight of 110gm and 120gm. This goes for both A4 and A3 duplexing.

Recently I purchased the maintenance kit that they reccommend after so many thousand copies and duly installed all the bits. Unfortunately it messed up the manual feed tray which for some reason doesn't drop the roller onto the paper to pull it into the lead runners, this seems to be something to do with a timing cog not being in the correct position. Also, the new heat exchange roller part, which is the main part of the kit and the most expensive item by far, has performed worse than the old part! In the end, I had to re-install the old one and it worked much better.

I shall be sending it all back to the supplier to hope to get it replaced.

One thing I have discovered with the duplexing side: The main cause of jams appears to come from the rollers that feed out of the heat exchange roller (this is just as they come out of the back of the machine proper and go into the duplexer) and then the pick up rollers from the top of the duplexer (under the lift up lid part) and round the 180° bend at the back of the duplexer. I find that by regular cleaning of these rollers with an alcohol based cleaner makes the whole thing work a lot smoother for a few thousand copies.

When you see how complex these duplexers are it isn't any wonder they break down! But as they charge such a high price for them in the first place it seems grossly unfair to the consumer.

FYI: the maintenance kit cost me 389 euros from a HP dealer in France. This is a DIY kit, the other choice is to send them the printer which is more expensive and inconvenient.

Like an old car, I'm just going to keep using it until I run it into the ground! It still prints great copies.

Jonathan