My statements:

This is not absolutely true here in Europe (Switzerland)

More kids learn to play an instrument (than in the sixties)

piano players play more boogie woogies and pop instead of classical music. Sight reading and musical understanding is detoriating.

guitar players play more TABs and don't really learn to read music. They learn to play power chords and solos right enough, but (see piano players)...

All instruments learn to improvise more (which is good) but sight reading won't be trained enough, as is technique (I still think you need to play classics to learn a good technique)

wood, brass and string players (violin etc.) are better readers than the rest, they play often in bands and orchestras.

percussion players may be great readers of rhythms, but not of musical scores.

Singers have no great chance to sight-read if they aren't "good" piano players, as well, (playing the badly arranged modern fakebooks)

all kids have a more limited musical experience, listening mainly pop, hip-hop etc. mostly produced by (almost) non-musicians.

more kids are interested in Jazz (Piano players), this is good, when they also learn to develop their technique...

less kids like classics, less kids understand about what music is or can be...:-(

there are a few kids who are really good and have learned (too) much at an early age (because of their parents hoping they will be stars?)

There are less ensembles

There are more bands (punk, etc.)

All in all, even if there are more kids learning instruments, the quality has become worse... all in all...

Kurt