Jacki Barineau / 2006/04/28 / 07:16 PM wrote:

>G - F - C - Eb - G - Bb

I am too late on this game.  Chuck already caught it's a typo.  However,
I just can't help on this one.  Please allow me.

Of course depending on the context, but most likely this chord is F9
(sus4)/G (with the typo 'C').
It is so typical to voice C-7/F for F7(sus), and also very typical to
put the 9th ('G' in this case) on bass.

Since jazz theory is still young, it is very personal.  I always believe
I have the best answer, after carefully examining all the possibilities
then to pick the best explanation.

What does this chord derives a scale?
It is not G- something because of Eb.
It is not C- something since it sounds dominant-like.
F mixo is the chord scale this chord dictates.

What chord scale is derived is the only key to name to chord correctly,
in my not so humble opinion.  So, the other one:

>G7 (#5, #9)

What chord scale would this derive?  If you think that way, it must be
b13th instead of raised 5th.  #5 means whole tone scale, then #9 will
contradict.  If you put b13 then the chord scale is Mixo #9, b13.

By the way, if the first chord, the correct version:
    G - F - Cb - Eb - G - Bb
is supposed to be reproduced exactly how it is, it must be spelled 'Eb
over G7'.

--

- Hiro

Hiroaki Honshuku, A-NO-NE Music, Boston, MA
<http://a-no-ne.com> <http://anonemusic.com>