It has always seemed to me that the bass line is more important than the upper voices in analyzing chord progressions. The bass line in this case defines a progression of descending fifths, a popular progression popular since the Baroque period. (Stop Vivaldi, stop.) The 7-3-7-3-7-3 chromatic line in the upper voices confirms it.

C flat (B), B, Bb, A, A flat, G
7           3  7   3  7       3
Db          G  C   F  Bb      Eb   Ab
iv                    ii      V    I

The Db and Cb destroy the previous key (Eb I assume) the descending fifths lead to the cadence in Ab (ii V I). A more common modulation you can't find. Upper voices can often disguise a common progression. Even if the cb were a c natural the meaning of the progression would be the same but it would be awkward, the c having no musical meaning, being neither a chord tone nor a contrapuntal tone. a chromatic motion with no target.

BF

Dean M. Estabrook wrote:
Very true ... I hear you. I can remember using the system more in the analysis of contemporary tone structures existing in atonal or extremely dense tonal music where just nailing down an acoustic root had its advantages .... and you are correct, the function of a given stack varies, of course, according to its environment. Interesting stuff ...

Dean