Christopher Smith / 2006/05/01 / 03:35 PM wrote:

>G7(b13#9) doesn't give the pianist much choice about what extensions to
>add, either, so either one will fill the bill for a pianist.

There are a lot of pianists switches from #9 to b9 and add b5, or even
play tri-tone sub.

Don't get me wrong.  I am all for freedom.  I hire piano, guitar, and
vib players by their comping creativity.  It is the biggest part of the
deal how they voice for me.  In that, I don't write poly chord except
the ending chord.  A lot of my favorite musicians likes to noodle on the
ending chord which I am not too crazy about.

On the other hand, when I write big band chart, most of comping are
written in poly chord because this is the only way to make sure they
don't crash with horn voicing.

>Generally if I want exact voicings, I
>write out the voicing,

Ur, around here, if you want to play with grooving doods, they don't
read notes that quickly :-)

--

- Hiro

Hiroaki Honshuku, A-NO-NE Music, Boston, MA
<http://a-no-ne.com> <http://anonemusic.com>